Spicy potatoes are a great dish to serve for appetizer, snack or side dish.
Recipe will serve 4
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 8 to 10 fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green chilis, seeded and sliced long ways
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Peel off some skin in stripes from the potatoes; leave some of the skin to provide color.
- Cut the potatoes into bite size cubes.
- In a pot, boil about four cups of water; add one teaspoon of salt and the cubed potatoes. make sure there is enough water in pot so potatoes are soaked. Boil the potatoes till they are tender but not mushy.
- After potatoes are cooked, drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seed, and as cumin seeds crack add coriander, fennel seed, fenugreek seed and shredded ginger, stir fry for half a minute.
- Add potatoes and Stir-fry on medium high heat till they are light golden brown.
- Add salt, black pepper and green chili and roast another two to three minutes. Turn off the heat and add lemon juice and cilantro and mix. Serve hot.
- Adjust salt, lemon, and pepper to your taste.