Chickpeas and spinach is a great combination and a healthy, protein rich dish. Chickpeas immersed with spicy spinach gravy. This dish can be served with roti, naan or any other bread.
Recipe will serve 2 to 4.
- 1 15oz can of chickpea (chole, garbanzo)
- 3 cups finely chopped spinach (palak)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2″piece ginger (adrak)
- 1 green chili
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Drain the liquid out of the chickpeas and rince the chick peas well.
- Blend the tomatoes, green chilies, and ginger to make a puree.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the asafetida and cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Tomato mixture will start leaving the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.
- Add spinach, and salt and one half cup of water and let it cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat covered.
- Add the chickpeas and mash them lightly with a spatula so they soften Note: add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking, and let it cook on low heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and let it cook for another minute.