Aloo Jeera is easy yet a delicious side dish. This can compliment any meal. A whole cumin seeds have a slightly nutty flavor. In this recipe cumin seeds are one of the main spices.
Recipe will serve 4.
- 5 medium size potatoes boiled peeled and cut into bite size cubes, this will make about 4 cups of cubes potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies seeded and sliced length wise
- 1-1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander (dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (hara dhania) to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Oil is the right temperature when cumin seeds crack immediately after being put in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add ginger and green chilies and stir for few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add all the remaining spices, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, mango powder, and salt. Stir for few seconds.
- Add potatoes and mix well with Masala. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes. All the potatoes should be coated with spices.
- Turn off the heat and add cilantro. Mix it well and serve it hot.
Left over potatoes can be served as sack or chat drizzling with whipped yogurt and tamarind chutney.